Certainly cultural transformation occurs but to what degree can it be actively catalyzed?
Creative class cities bloom and their opposites become walking Detroits.
How to revitalize your city into Rochester 2.0, Detroit 2.0:
- Free houses for artist communities (the aesthetic future starts now); stimulatory homesteading initiatives
- The post-ecotourism fad: ghetto tours; hip hop music and dance classes
- Favorable tax policies and free trade zones like Paul Romer’s Charter Cities program (example: Hong Kong in Honduras)
- Singapore/Korea-like targeted industrial policy (Welcome Stem Cell Research!)
- Social policy liberalization: immigration amnesty, gay marriage, euthanasia, decriminalized marijuana use